Tis' the season... for holiday baking! I found this recipe on one of my favorite websites, and although I haven't made these myself, the recipe got rave reviews from people that have!
White-Chocolate Cherry Shortbread
Prep: 40 min.
Bake: 10 min. per batch
Stand: 30 min.
• 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
• 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 cup cold butter
• 12 ounces white chocolate baking squares with cocoa butter, finely chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
• 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
• 2 teaspoons shortening
• White nonpareils and/or red edible glitter (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread cherries on paper towels to drain well.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in drained cherries and 4 ounces (2/3 cup) of the chopped chocolate. Stir in almond extract and, if desired, food coloring. Knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball.
3. Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten balls to 1-1/2-inch rounds.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
5. In a small saucepan, combine remaining 8 ounces white chocolate and the shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Dip half of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. If desired, roll dipped edge in nonpareils and/or edible glitter. Place cookies on waxed paper until chocolate is set. Makes about 60.
6. To Store: Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
• Total Fat (g)5,
• Saturated Fat (g)3,
• Cholesterol (mg)9,
• Sodium (mg)28,
• Carbohydrate (g)9,
• Protein (g)1,
• Calcium (DV%)1,
• Iron (DV%)1,
• Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Photo and Recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens website.
Hi, I'm Amy and I’ve been married for 18 years to an amazing man. Together we have two incredible kids, two cats and two very pampered dogs. I’m passionate about my family, reading, writing, and trying to make our house a home. Thanks for stopping by….I hope you’ll be back soon to check out my latest home “remedies”, projects, pictures and maybe even a recipe or two!